Saturday, April 12, 2008

Candy

Candy

I’m not trying to be sarcastic or sardonic, but honestly - can a dog be retarded?



I have never seen a puppy so laid back as our newest addition, Candy. She is a border collie mix. A border collie - no doubt! - that is EXTREMELY subdued. My husband and I are thinking something is wrong with her.


She got a clean bill of health from our vet, and she actually does run occasionally in the yard when I throw a ball or frisbee, but other than that she does nothing. She allows all six children to poke, prod, push and pull her to no end without as much as batting one of her two toned eyes. I think she has some merle border collie in her, because one eye is icy blue and the other is dark brown.

If she is left alone, she cries. Wails actually. But, if I give her enough lap time in the evening, she happily trots off to her crate at the end of the night to sleep. If for some reason we put her to be a little earlier, she cries and cries until she gets enough time on the couch with someone. She totally thinks she’s a lap dog and she’s pushing 35 pounds now.

Last night, I put a platter of chicken and green beans on the table for dinner.
While I was preparing the rest of the meal and distracted by the evening news, she hopped up on a chair and ate our ENTIRE dinner. It was enough to feed seven people! (Gabby was not joining us last night.) Needless to say I was PO’d that I had to remake dinner. I think I forget that she is just a pup because in all other respects, she’s like an ole hounddog.

She’s learned a couple of commands and is doing well housebreaking - but I seriously don’t know if she’s "all there".

Maybe my last dog was just wicked smaht.

1 comment:

bonnie felter said...

my guess is that she is a con artist ... wicked smaht indeed! she's letting you think she is dumb as bricks and then BAM!! dinner for 7 is served. :) cannot wait to meet her when i visit you ... this fall, God willing.